Sunday, August 19, 2012

Touch by Jus Accardo

**This review was written before this blog was made.**

Touch by Jus Accardo

Synopsis:
When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opportunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home.

Except there's something off with Kale. He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she'll turn to dust if he touches her. It's not until Dez's father shows up, wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there's more to this boy – and her father's "law firm" –than she realized.

Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation–an organization devoted to collecting "special" kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons–his entire life. And, oh yeah, his touch? It kills. The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down a Denazen before they're caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all. A secret Dez has spent her life keeping safe.

A secret Kale will kill to protect.

My Review:
♫♫♫♫♫- Presto!

Before I Read: This book sounds like Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi but in a different point of view. In Shatter Me it was in the view point of the person with the supernatural powers. While in this one it is in the perspective of a normal person who finds a supernatural powered person. Though, the summary of Touch reminds me of Shatter Me. I hope it is just as good!

After I Read: I'll start out by saying this, I'm not a big reviewer. I review very few books. But I've already started so i have to finish. And I'm also not a very good reviewer, Iusually just rave about the stuff I liked and disliked, not really saying why. This review will contain many spoilers, do not continue if you do not want to read spoilers. Read at your own risk. Anyway's with that out, I will start my review:

This book was GREAT! It started with this amazing scene where she's about to skateboard off a roof. I really liked Dez's character. Interestingly enough, she didn't annoy me very much. I loved how she was so sarcastic. It's hard to write sarcasm, and I feel Jus Accardo did well with it.

On to Kale. OMGGGG. I'm not a sucker for blue eyes (I actually don't like people with those bright blue eyes, I believe the darker blue eyes are better looking), so that is not what lured me in. I think it was just his personality. His character made me laugh. I don't usually laugh while reading books, but reading few of the sentences and awkward moments he and Dez have, it's totally funny.

So now I've got those two out. Moving to Alex. I disliked his character. It's not like a total hate kind of dislike, just more of an annoyed dislike. He was so undecided. He kept switching from helping Dex to bailing on her. He needs to make up his mind. And plus, was it necessary for him to be on Denazen's side? I understand he wanted to get Dez back and didn't care at all for Kale, but he didn't need to start fighting the opposing side for it. He himself said he hated Denazen, and he goes and fights with them. Betrayel.

And last but not least, Sue (Dez's mom). I really liked her character from the last few chapters of the book. The only thing i didn't like was how she wasn't more thoroughly explained. I wish she had more of a part. Or at least had a chapter where Dez got to know her. I wanted to hear her side of Denazen and everything she's missed out on for the past 17 years.

And to respond to the top portion of my review, this book was a lot like "Shatter Me" by Taherah Mafi but also VERY different. The point of views were switched though. It was the secondary character learning everything rather than the main character. Although, in Shatter Me the main character already had an idea of what the outside world was like because she lived in it for a few years. While in Touch, Kale was totally oblivious to everything about the outside world. They are very similar because the person with the touch power kills and they go to a place where they can control it in the end (well technically in Touch he hasn't quite gotten to a place to control it, but it's getting there). Overall this book was very good and I recommend it to all. Along with this, anyone who liked this book should try Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.



No comments:

Post a Comment