Thursday, August 16, 2012

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini



Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Synopsis:
Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention. 


Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she's going crazy. Whenever she's near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she's destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they're still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together? 


My Review:


♫♫♫♫♫- Presto!

This book was really good and definitely a must read! This wasn't exactly one of those books where I read it all in one sitting, but a book where I had to put it down once in a while so that I could think about what I just read and endure it all. In the next part of this review, I may be ranting and skipping around, but try and follow. 


Helen Hamilton: This girl was very timid and weak (mentally) in the beginning of this book. She knew she was different and tried to hide herself. By the end of Starcrossed, Helen became so much more confident in herself and showed her strength. On to her looks...Although she is extremely beautiful, and very mary sue-like she doesn't flaunt it or notice her beauty, and I loved that about her. Helen was always trying to be normal. She knew that she was way stronger and faster than an average person, which gave her all the more reason to try and blend in. When Lucas (and the rest of the HOT Delos family) came to the town, she didn't really care. She didn't even bother to see how good-looking they were. She could have cared less about their looks, because she had more to worry about. Her nightmares, the hate for Lucas, her odd super powers. In my opinion, Helen was one of the best Heroines I've seen. One that has her OWN opinions, an actually convincing relationship (not one that goes from Hate to *BAM* I Flipping LOVE you!), and isn't self-centered. 
Lucas Delos: MMM, this guy is so crush-worthy and lovable. His love for Helen is so genuine and expressive. Though he tries not to get to close to her for several reasons. I was really frustrated with his and Helen's relationship at some parts of the story but I got over it. I could see why Lucas was so conflicted with what to and what not to tell Helen. I reallllly hope we get to see more Lucas and Helen love.
Claire Aoki: Oh man, I really loved Claire. She was hilarious and such a great best-friend throughout the book. I just loved some of the things she said. She made me laugh out loud when I was reading this. 
"'It was when we were seven! And she wasn't hurt!' Clasire yelled back. 'Anyway. I knew about the knife thing because, well, I tried to stab you once, too.'"
Daphne Atreus: I really don't like her. She made me mad every time I read a scene with her in it! I mean all those things she did? Was that necessary? *MAJOR SPOILERS (From this point on)* Yeah, fine you didn't think Creon would kill. But, you didn't think it's a bad idea to tell Lucas and Helen they are related when that's a total lie! You didn't think leaving Jerry and Helen was a bad idea?! Daphne is such a trouble maker I just really disliked her. 
When Creon killed Pandora I was really surprised. I didn't think he would do that either. I'm sure most of you guys saw that coming, but it really did surprise me! And Daphne better tell, or Helen better find out, that Lucas and Helen are NOT related! I can't bear them not being together. They need to know! Though, there was one part in this story that really confused me. Two different time frames were mentioned for Ajax's death. In chapter 10, Pandora had said he died 21 years ago, but it chapter 18, Daphne said that Ajax "left the world 19 years ago..." I was so totally confused with this part. There are so many unanswered question that leave me excited to read Dreamless

In Short:

This book was so totally amazing and you must read it. The characters are so great and not at all what you expect. Such a great heart-wrenching, entertaining story that will leave you wanting more! GO and put it on you to-read list right now! 


No comments:

Post a Comment