Saturday, May 11, 2013

Destiny's Flower by Linda Harley



Destiny's Flower by Linda Harley

Synopsis:
Doctor Lynn Davis is kidnapped by handsome Lord Kyle von Talion and taken to a far off planet, Saldiora. As she finds herself in this unfamiliar culture, she must learn to fight with a sword, ride a talking horse, and endure the politics of a royal court if she is to survive. Kyle has his hands full keeping Lynn from making cultural blunders and ensuring her safety. The Juntu's are plotting to take over Saldiora and consider Lynn to be a threat to their success. Will Lynn live long enough to fulfill her destiny and save the kingdom of Saldiora?



*A copy was provided for an honest review*

My Review: 
♫♫♫-Andante
I enjoyed this book, it was good!

There were many great things about this book, but also some things I wished to see more of. But, I'll start with the good stuff first.

I loved the world that was created with this story. It had talking animals, and interesting customs. This book showed the importance of staying true to yourself and not letting yourself forget who you are and where you came from. The idea that this book was based on is really interesting. It's a competition of 10 girls, who are competing for the title of Queen of Saldiora.

I also really liked the characters that were created by this story. Kyle von Talion was very likable  always protecting Lynn as his duty. He may, or may not be the love interest, but I'm not too sure because this first book didn't really have much romance.

The main evil character/villain of the story, Brigieta, was great. It doesn't seem like she or her family will be able to redeem themselves in later books, but I do have the smallest sliver of hope that she'll come around.

On to a couple of things I didn't like about the book. In general, there wasn't a lot of character development. I don't really know what the characters look like physically. I also don't know much about the character's personality. I felt like the only character I could actually connect with was Lynn, while I didn't know much about the others. For example, when a character died during the book, I didn't feel many emotions because I didn't know the character's background or personality. Although, even though I could connect with Lynn, I sometimes wondered why she did what she did. Like, Lynn started crying at one point, and I didn't understand why she was crying. Also, the book had a few grammar and spelling errors, but that didn't distract much from the book, making it still have and easy flow when reading.

I'm really excited to read the next book when it comes out. I need some answers! There were so many things left unanswered, so many questions I have. In later books, I'd really like to see more character development, along with development of Saldiora and what it looks like. With the character development in the next book, I hope to see more of the romance aspect of the storing come into play. The story ended on a small cliff hanger, making a lot of room for incoming plot twists and turns in the next book. I also feel like there may be a love triangle coming on...considering what was said in the last chapter.

Overall, Destiny's Flower was a light, easy read and I enjoyed many parts of it. Although, I did wish to see more development with characters and the world, but hopefully that will happen later in the series!



No comments:

Post a Comment